Friday 7 July 2017

Oz 90's!

I'm not the massive lover of the nineties that most people of my generation are. I'll defend the seventies as the greatest era of music until my tongue falls off, but I'll concede that the nineties certainly had its moments. 

There's been a big resurgence in the decade's popularity over the last few years and I think that's a cyclical thing. In the noughties, we were all looking back to the eighties. Well, some of us. He he he... Even though the seventies are my favourite decade, I hold onto 1985 and 1986 as two of my favourite years for music. 

But, I'm here to share something about the nineties! Specifically Australian music of the nineties. I burned some CDs a fair few years back for an Australia Day BBQ we had with friends which featured all Australian tunes...from the nineties. There you go, there's the link. I think it's a pretty great list of the popular, the slightly obscure and the deep cut. Pretty sure the odd NZ track snuck in too!

I now have the songs on my iPod as a playlist. They're in a fairly loose chronological order (because, it's me) and I think you get a could idea of how music in Australia shifted through the decade. Anyhoo, have a scroll below. Remember, this list was once four burnt CDs:


1. Blue Sky Mine MIDNIGHT OIL
2. Blush THE HUMMINGBIRDS
3. Metropolis THE CHURCH
4. Burn For You JOHN FARNHAM
5. She Goes On CROWDED HOUSE
6. Don't Go Now RATCAT
7. Don't Start Me Talking PAUL KELLY & THE MESSENGERS
8. Someone's Singing New York New York GHOSTWRITERS
9. Under My Skin DEBORAH CONWAY
10. Painless BABY ANIMALS
11. The Day You Went Away WENDY MATTHEWS
12. She Will Survive THINGS OF STONE & WOOD
13. No Time FRENTE!
14. Imaginary Girl HUNTERS & COLLECTORS
15. Father's Day WEDDINGS PARTIES ANYTHING
16. In My Command CROWDED HOUSE
17. Talking Sly THE SHARP
18. The Honeymoon Is Over THE CRUEL SEA
19. Masterplan DIESEL
20. You Were There SOUTHERN SONS
21. Persuasion TIM FINN
22. Night of the Wolverine DAVE GRANEY 'N' THE CORAL SNAKES
23. The Ship Song (live) NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS
24. Rain In My Heart WEDDINGS PARTIES ANYTHING
25. Somethings Nobody Can Change THE SHARP
26. Wildflowers THINGS OF STONE & WOOD
27. Nails In My Feet CROWDED HOUSE
28. I've Got a Plan MY FRIEND THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
29. Mountain (acoustic) CHOCOLATE STARFISH
30. Lonely FRENTE!
31. You Wanna Be Loved DAVE GRANEY 'N' THE CORAL SNAKES
32. Tomorrow SILVERCHAIR
33. Less Than A Feeling HOODOO GURUS
34. Berlin Chair YOU AM I
35. Easy HUNTERS & COLLECTORS
36. Hands Out Of My Pocket COLD CHISEL
37. Honest and Sober THE SHARP
38. Purple Sneakers YOU AM I
39. Lemonsuck POLLYANNA
40. Apple Eyes SWOOP
41. Greg! The Stop Sign!! TISM
42. Where The Wild Roses Grow NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS feat. KYLIE MINOGUE
43. Angels Heap FINN
44. Rock 'n' Roll Is Where I Hide DAVE GRANEY 'N' THE CORAL SNAKES
45. Deeper Water PAUL KELLY
46. Mr Milk YOU AM I
47. Coppertone FINI SCAD
48. Underwater MIDNIGHT OIL
49. Buy Me a Pony SPIDERBAIT
50. Jerks of Attention JEBEDIAH
51. Cromagnonman SNOUT
52. Everything Is Good For You CROWDED HOUSE
53. Who's Ever Been Using My Bed THE EARTHMEN
54. Cool Your Heels ATLAS STRINGS
55. I Make Hamburgers THE WHITLAMS
56. How To Make Gravy PAUL KELLY
57. Prisoner of Society THE LIVING END
58. Freak SILVERCHAIR
59. Just Ace GRINSPOON
60. Leaving Home JEBEDIAH
61. Captain (Million Miles an Hour) SOMETHING FOR KATE
62. No Aphrodisiac THE WHITLAMS
63. The Charles Atlas Way THE FAUVES
64. Sinner NEIL FINN
65. Music Is Crap CUSTARD
66. What I Don't Know 'Bout You YOU AM I
67. Cry THE MAVIS'S
68. Nothing On My Mind PAUL KELLY
69. Cigarettes Will Kill You BEN LEE
70. Girls Like That (Don't Go For Guys Like Us) CUSTARD
71. The Day You Come POWDERFINGER
72. Miss You Love SILVERCHAIR
73. Dig MARK LIZOTTE
74. Already Gone POWDERFINGER

No comments:

Post a Comment