Tuesday 25 July 2017

It's Funny How You Want Things You Didn't Know You Wanted

I'm now on the hunt for the a copy of the Pretty In Pink soundtrack on vinyl. Correction, the 2012 pink vinyl reissue...because, why not? 

How did I get there? Interesting question, I hear you think. Well, Rhones and I have been watching a fair few of our DVDs lately. We started off going down memory lane, early noughties/late nineties style. We're talking The Replacements, Bring It On, Grosse Pointe Blank, High Fidelity, The Castle, The Dish, and, uh, I think that was all. Then we turned to some eighties classics.

We had already revisited Stand By Me, The Goonies, The Lost Boys and the Back To The Future trilogy fairly recently, so we looked to the work of Mr John Hughes. We quickly devoured Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and, you guessed it, Pretty In Pink

I can't say I'm hugely enamoured with the film, although I do enjoy the scene where Molly Ringwald's Andie confronts her father, played by Harry Dean Stanton, about his inability to move on after his wife left him. James Spader does a very nice job of being a real sleazeball, but I think Andrew McCarthy was miscast. And Jon Cryer's Duckie is overplayed. It was nice spotting Dweezil Zappa in a very minor role though.


But, I digress! As the film played, a few choice tunes appeared. Suzanne Vega's wonderful Left of Centre, Bring On The Dancing Horses by Echo & The Bunnymen, the title track of course and Shellshock by New Order. All of these songs are on the soundtrack, but I was surprised to hear New Order's Elegia as the minutes ticked over too! I had forgotten it was in there, to be honest, particularly after it was used to such chilling effect in the sublime Netflix TV series Stranger Things

Of course, OMD's iconic If You Leave ends the film, and also finds a spot on the soundtrack. There's also The Smith's beautiful Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want, which I didn't notice, if I'm being honest. I wish they'd used the Nik Kershaw version of Wouldn't It Be Good in there, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Anyway, me wantee. 

SIDE NOTE: After reading up on New Order's Low-Life album (which contains Elegia; and Shellshock appears on the 2008 collector's reissue), I gave that a good listen too. I want that as well now! Ha haaa!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you look on Amazon yet ...? https://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pink-LP-Vinyl/dp/B007IXCC7G

    ReplyDelete