Sunday 29 September 2024

IMDb's Class of '99

I am in agreement of the claim that 1999 was a pretty damn good one for film. A fair few of my big favourites were released that year, and continue to sit atop of my highlights list. 25 years on, IMDb put out an article about movies from 1999, and I'm going to comment on each one. The full article can be read here

Read on!

FIGHT CLUB
Yes, absolutely. Mind you, it's been a while since I've done a rewatch, but this has resided in my Top 10 Films for quite some time. I would be very interested to see what 48-year-old me would think of this one. This resonated with me so much as a twentysomething, and knowing the twist ending doesn't take away from the experience at all. The performances of both Pitt and Norton are wonderful. 

THE MATRIX
This movie was so fresh and invigorating when it came out. It might seem a little tired now, as it has spawned thousands of imitations. Again, it's been a while since I've watched it, and only ever managed to catch the sequel The Matrix Reloaded, which was only okay. But, it put me off watching any future sequels. The concept of 'Bullet Time' as been utilised by so many action movies since, and the fight scenes at the time were next level. Yuen Woo-ping can be thanked for that, a martial arts choreographer and director from Hong Kong. This film's influence cannot be overstated, but the shadow of works like Akira, Blade Runner and even Star Wars are unable to be ignored either.

THE GREEN MILE
Yes, another favourite film of mine. I have fond memories of reading this book at the time it came out, as each chapter was released on a monthly basis. I was living in Albany still, and while I took my time with the first couple of installments. By the last three chapter books, I was devouring them almost overnight. My younger brother Chris, himself an avid Stephen King fan, would eagerly wait for me to finish in anticipation so he could continue the story. I was very keen to see the movie adaptation when I learned of its production. I thought Tom Hanks was a great choice for Paul Edgecomb, and after his work on The Shawshank Redemption, Frank Darabont was an ideal pick for the director. That's a great film, if somewhat overrated nowadays, and a wonderful adaptation. This one is way better as a movie, and as an adaptation. Michael Clarke Duncan's Oscar-nominated performance of John Coffey is arguably the most wonderful thing he left us.

AMERICAN BEAUTY
Now marred by the performance of an alleged rapist, this was an amazing movie experience at the time of release. I think most people struggled to describe the plot, as it is quite simple, but the cast, screenplay and direction all deliver. I'm hesitant to rewatch this one, but I will one day.

THE SIXTH SENSE
Another movie that's the start of a thousand clichés. Shyamalan's debut movie is one of his best, and knowing the twist ending makes you pay more attention to each of the scenes where Bruce Willis' character appear. This one needs a re-watch too! 

THE IRON GIANT
The first animated movie to make this list, adapted from a book I loved as a kid, The Iron Man by Ted Hughes. I guess the name was changed for the film due to the Marvel hero of the same name (although that movie was still nearly a decade away). Despite some small changes to the plot, eg: the book was set in rural England and the movie is in the US during the cold war, it is very enjoyable. I think the movie dilutes some of the fantastical elements of the story (where is the Space-Bat-Angel-Dragon?), but it's still a good watch. I didn't get around to this one until I hit my forties, I think.

MAGNOLIA
Now, this is an interesting one for me, because I liked a lot of this movie. The opening sequence was fantastic, and some of the performances are incredible. But, by the end of it, I was like, 'okay, what was the point?'. The characters are mostly unlikable and the big deus ex machina was someting of a cop out for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I'm not that keen to revisit this one.

TOY STORY 2
Deadset classic, and possibly one of the few sequels to eclipse its predecessor in terms of sheer entertainment value. The introduction of the new characters enhance the ensemble, and forcing the toys out of Andy's bedroom is a masterstroke. Endlessly quotable and rewatchable.

BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
I really enjoyed the concept of this movie, and found some scenes to be a riot, but the characters were really hard to like. That was a tough stumbling block to get over, and as such, I've not watched it since the first time. Very out-there for the time it was released. It possibly paved the way for more ludicrous and far-out concept movies. 

SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER & UNCUT
Yeah, far out, I think I fell off the couch watching this with Rhones back in our first rental in the Beckenham area. The touches of music in this one are outstanding as well, balancing catchy hooks with hilarity. The genius medley of songs, a la West Side Story or Les
 Misérables, manages to out do both of those musicals. Arguably the pinnacle of the South Park franchise.

OFFICE SPACE
This was a movie that had been parodied and referenced so many times that I lost count of all the 'that's where that's from' moments I had when I finally watched it. Stephen Root's character didn't land for me, and I usually love his work, and I found Ron Livingston's Peter hard to empathise with as well. Certainly worth watching for Gary Cole's micromanaging Bill Lumbergh though.

EYES WIDE SHUT
Yes, this one left a mark. Touted as being a landmark collaboration between the late Stanley Kubrick and one of Hollywood's biggest power couples at the time, it delighted and repulsed audiences on equal levels. Long and slow, as per the usual Kubrick movie, it explored the effects of sexual fantasies on a marriage and offered up a Lynch-like long dark night of the soul for Cruise's Bill Hartford. One of my favourite moments of this film was the underused Sydney Pollack lambasting Hartford for his actions on that night. Just enough ambiguity to leave you guessing, and some iconic scenes to excite and unravel.

BOYS DON'T CRY
A tough watch, this one. I haven't revisited this movie since my maiden viewing. The film announced the arrival of an amazing talent in Hilary Swank, who would go on to dazzle again in Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. The story of Brandon Teena is hard to get through, but an important story to be told, and told to the world.

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY
Another film that just didn't excite me as much as it did others at the time. I've been meaning to rewatch this one too, especially because the Ripley series with Andrew Scott recently dropped on Netflix. Maybe as I've also watched Ripley's Game since seeing this (not great, imho) I'll have a better grip on his character. Damon and Law do a fine job, but I couldn't buy that Ripley was impersonating Dickie getting away with it. Maybe another watch in the future.

GALAXY QUEST
Another riff on the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven/Three Amigos trope, but an effective one. I don't hold this in the high esteem that some do, but it's entertaining, for sure. Hardly groundbreaking though.

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
Again, not really my kind of film, but Heath Ledger is always watchable and Julia Stiles does well in this reworking of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. 

TARZAN
The first movie in this list that I haven't seen. I've been meaning to fill the gaps in my Disney viewing and I will, I promise. Props to Phil on his fab score, but You'll Be In My Heart over Blame Canada, Academy? Really?

THE VIRGIN SUICIDES
Lauded as an amazing debut from Sofia Coppola, I was a little underwhelmed by this. Granted I haven't watched it since its original release, and I remember it was nicely unsettling in theme, but again, at the end of it I was struggling to grasp the point.

GO
Pulp Fiction for the teenagers and twentysomethings. Nice to see Timothy Olyphant ham it up as a villanous drug dealer, but I wouldn't call this a great film. Doug Liman is hot and cold for me. The Bourne Identity was great, but I couldn't even get through Swingers

THE MUMMY
This was a nice bit of fun, reminiscent of eighties adventure movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Romancing the Stone. Fraser was a great leading man, and who doesn't love Rachel Weisz? John Hannah does well as the comic relief as well.

AMERICAN PIE
It's hard to imagine a world where this film doesn't exist now. Despite the numerous sequels and loose concept spin-offs, the original is the best for that mix of comedy and shock. Owing a debt to Animal House and Porky's, this one picked up the torch and ran with it, giving us many quotable quotes along the way.

BUT I'M A CHEERLEADER
Natasha Lyonne managed to be in this movie and American Pie in the same year. Not seen this movie either, but apparently both flicks pushed Lyonne into the zeitgeist of the era.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 1 - THE PHANTOM MENACE
I can remember attending a midnight screening of this movie on its initial release. Though it was a little overblown, CGI-dependent and Senate-heavy, there were thrilling cinematic moments. The pod race and the duel with the underused Darth Maul are big highlights of the franchise. Nice to see Ewan McGregor's first turn as Kenobi the young padawan and Neeson's commanding presence as Qui-Gon Jinn. The hate for Jar Jar Binks was cumulative, and boy, did it land hard over the following months.

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
This movie affected people differently, but it freaked the hell out of me! Rhones and I caught it at a movie marathon in Innaloo, I think. It started around midnight and was followed by Arlington Road and Two Hands. The hype surrounding the movie was amazing at the time. People were unsure if it was real or not. One of the first 'found footage' movies made on a budget of about $60,000 from memory. Never has the sight of someone standing in a corner been so terrifying to me. Don't think I've watched it all the through since that first viewing. No, we have the DVD...I must have...

CRUEL INTENTIONS
Another film on the list I've not seen. I know that it was a remake/reworking of Dangerous Liaisons, but that's about it. The music from it certainly had an impact from memory. Even songs that featured in promos/trailers got some attention! Yes, I should just watch it. And then...I'll have watched it.

*    *    *    *    *

Not a bad list, that. The only serious emissions, for my money, were:

- Election
- The Insider
- Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
- The Straight Story
- Bringing Out the Dead
- The Cider House Rules
- Man On the Moon

But, that's the beauty of these lists, huh? Now, to get down to some rewatching!

No comments:

Post a Comment