Tuesday 13 April 2021

Aladdin Sane

Now, just to warn you, I'm not overly fond of this album. There are some songs here that Bowie fans absolutely lose their minds over, but I just don't. Probably only a handful of tracks here really grab me; and as an album, it's one that I very rarely listen to in full. Referred to by many as "Ziggy Goes to America", Aladdin Sane features one of Bowie's most iconic album covers. That awesome red and blue lightning bolt over his face, the bright red hair, the bare shoulders with some sort of liquid dripping from his clavicle (a misplaced teardrop?). But, the music contained within the record doesn't excite me like it does others. I know people who would name this as their favourite Bowie album, or at least put in their Top 5, but it wouldn't land in my Top 10. 

Bowie returned to the studio with the Spiders from Mars band members, multi-instrumentalist Mick Ronson, bassist Trevor Bolder and Mick Woodmansey on the drums. This album is also notable for being the first appearance of Mike Garson, who would go on to play piano on many more Bowie records. 

Released 48 years ago today, it seems like a good reason to have another listen, track by track and let my mind fully absorb what I hear. Or something. I ended up spinning it twice, once on CD, and once on my iPod when I walked our dog Zappa. 

1. WATCH THAT MAN
This is song that took a while to grow on me. I just didn't 'get it'. The opening chords seemed liked they were thrown together rather than written for a song. But, there's a vibe there. Once you tune in, there's an energy that is quite contagious and it's like a party is seeping out of the speakers when it plays. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a big influence on the Rocky Horror musical production choices. 

2. ALADDIN SANE (1913-1938-197?)
The title track, a pun on 'a lad insane', is one of the most experimental pieces of music Bowie had recorded at that point. Featuring a fairly avant-garde solo from Garson on the piano, this song also doesn't really land for me either. I like the 'uh uh uh uh, uh ah' bits though. And Mike Garson's piano work is sublime. 

3. DRIVE-IN SATURDAY
Another song that I just don't get. It was on the Bowie Singles Collection 1 CD I grabbed a copy of when I was a teen, and I would always skip it. I became aware of how popular it was when Rhones and I (and friends) went to one of Bowie's shows at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, early 2004. If memory serves around three or four member felt compelled to yell out a request for it. Each time it happened I was floored. "Really? That one?" It's possibly quite nostalgic for those who remember watching the types of movies he's describing at the drive-in. My memories of that medium were in Albany as a pre-teen, catching the latest Bond movie with my family. Or before that, a rain soaked screening of E.T. which either bored or scared me depending on the scene (I like the film much more now). I do enjoy going to the Galaxy Drive-In now though. Let's get that straight. Just not this song so much.

4. PANIC IN DETROIT

Now, this is a track I probably shouldn't like. The first time I heard it, I was less than impressed. While it has grown on me considerably in the last few years, I feel that it is far from a classic. However, I really enjoy the percussive element and Bolder's descending bass line is quite hooky too.

5. CRACKED ACTOR
Another song I'm not a big fan of. At the risk of repeating myself (too late!), I just don't get it. The chorus comes across as half-baked and the outro goes on for too long as well. It seems like the song's mission was to just titilate with some outrageous lyrics and crank out a bit of noisy guitar. 

6. TIME
If there's a shining centre in the universe of this album, for me, this is it. From the German music hall feel of the opening twinkling piano to the rousing multi-layered vocals at the song's end, this is five minutes of Bowie bliss. Some of my favourite Bowie lyrics are here too: "Time, he flexes like a whore/Falls wanking to the floor" and "Oh, well I look at my watch, it says nine twenty five/And I think 'Oh God, I'm still alive'". The former couplet, however profane, sums up the fickleness of time itself. We can be swayed by its promises, but we end up realising that time is actually self-serving. Bowie's vocal performance is among his best here as well. I just love it. Can't praise it enough.

7. THE PRETTIEST STAR
A guitar riff that never ends. A less-than-catchy chorus. A meandering melody. Yeah, nah. I think it was meant to be T. Rex-esque, but it doesn't land for me. 

8. LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER
As cover versions go, I don't mind this. There's an excitement here that is somewhat absent from the original. Or maybe, it's just that the energy level here is so high that it makes the Stones' performance seem a little lacklustre. Whether it's Garson's furious piano playing or Bowie's frenetic vocal delivery, it just wants to grab you by the ears! Bowie sounds like Frank N. Furter before the character even existed, and Mick Ronson's furious guitar screeches are out of this world.

9. THE JEAN GENIE

Arguably the most famous song on the album, and an absolute stone-cold Bowie classic track. Nuff said.

10. LADY GRINNING SOUL

Another song that seems to resonate deeply with Bowie fans, but again, I don't get it. Even after a couple of listens today, I'm not swayed.

I give this 2.5/5. Won't rush to listen again, but I probably will.

NEXT UP: Let's Dance - 14th April

No comments:

Post a Comment