Saturday 20 May 2017

Album of the Week - Vol.3

Back to Black AMY WINEHOUSE (2006)
Week: Wed 10th May to Tue 16th May
Format: CD
Producer(s): Mark Ronson, Salaam Remi
Track listing:
1. Rehab *
2. You Know I'm No Good *
3. Me & Mr Jones (Fuckery) *
4. Just Friends
5. Back to Black *
6. Love Is a Losing Game
7. Tears Dry on Their Own *
8. Wake Up Alone
9. Some Unholy War
10. He Can Only Hold Her
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 32:10

When the world lost Amy Winehouse, I was not her biggest fan. Her image had overshadowed her creative output, and I didn't feel like she was an artists I could get into. The only song of hers I knew was Rehab, and the point of that track was lost on me. I wrote it off as some kind of rebellious boast-type affair, but I've come to see that there's more to it than that now. 


A little after her death I really started to get into her and Mark Ronson's cover of The Zutons' Valerie. A bit late, for sure, but better late than never. I slowly sampled the odd track from the Back to Black album as well, particularly You Know I'm No Good and Tears Dry on Their Own

I began to appreciate just how amazing her voice was, and how the production of those songs brilliantly recreated classic R&B and girl group values. I think I finally took the plunge and nabbed the album on CD a coupla years back. It's quite rooted in the sixties, while having fairly, frank not-so-sixties subject matter. While only just breaking half an hour of playing time, Back to Black is also very personal. Most of the songs deal with her break-up with Blake Fielder-Civil, who she would later marry and divorce.

Amy Winehouse didn't leave behind a massive back catalog, but I'm determined to dig a little more. I haven't even listened to her first album, Frank. This CD sounded fantastic through our little system in the lounge room and I may have pulled Rhona off the couch for a dance over the course of the week. As I said earlier, the production is truly stunning, and it's interesting trying to pick the producer of each track (either Mark Ronson or Salaam Remi). The Motown-esque horns and strings together with the doo-wop backing vocals are just sublime. I'm amazed at how listenable (and re-listenable) this album is. My only big issue with it, is that's too short. Maybe it was kept to a short length so it stood comfortably next to other long players from the sixties, or to ensure it didn't outstay its welcome.


I also listened to this album on Spotify with the headphones on, and that was a fantastic experience. Not only did it sound brilliant, but there was a Genius pop-up function that scrolled lyrics and offered facts about each song. It also included the track Addicted, which is not on the CD I own. I don't think it's an essential part of the album, but it does include the memorable lyric: "It's got me addicted/Does more than any dick did". Anyway, I think this album is one of the best releases of the noughties, and I wish I that had appreciated it during Amy's lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to give this one a debut listen. So far ... I'm liking what I'm hearing ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Then I've done my job. My unpaid job of sharing albums I like via a blogging medium, in the hope that others will also listen. He he he...

    ReplyDelete