Wednesday 14 October 2015

Lennon Tunes

Every year, around the time of John Lennon's birthday (October 9th), I load up a gig with lots of Lennon solo songs and Beatles tunes. This year I used my regular Thursday night at Rosie's Freo for this purpose. Just for a little bit of posterity, I wanted to keep a record of which songs I threw in.



I started off playing a Lennon or Beatles track every three or four songs in my first set.


SET ONE:
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
Jealous Guy
Woman
No Reply
Help!
Watching The Wheels
Strawberry Field Forever

I employed a similar strategy for my shorter, second set.


SET TWO:
Come Together
Nowhere Man
How Do You Sleep?
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
(Just Like) Starting Over

For my last set, I just decided that it would be all Beatles and Lennon songs. I only had about thirty or forty minutes to go, so why not?


SET THREE:
Mother
Eight Days a Week
Please Please Me
Instant Karma!
Revolution
Across The Universe
From Me To You
Ticket To Ride
Imagine
In My Life
A Hard Day's Night

I think I managed to get a pretty good cross section there. I really wanted to throw in a couple more from the Plastic Ono Band album; namely Love and Isolation. I also dig Nobody Loves You (When You're Down And Out) and meant to give that a guernsey as well. Oh well, you get that. It would cool to do a Lennon Tribute night with a full band one day. I'd actually like to perform the Plastic Ono Band in its entirety with a heap of cool encores.

No comments:

Post a Comment